The life sciences are increasingly reliant on computational and mathematical approaches for biological data storage, analysis, visualisation and interpretation. But, bioinformatics and computational biology, and the technologies that underpin them, are swift-moving disciplines and it can be difficult to keep pace. The ISCB CoBE COSI focuses on education and training in this fast-moving arena. A major goal of this Community of Special Interest is to foster a collaborative community in which bioscientists can share bioinformatics education and training resources and experiences, and facilitate the development of education programs, courses, curricula, etc., and teaching tools and methods.
The Computational Biology Education (CoBE) COSI was established in 2014. We hope that this space becomes a place for you get information about bioinformatics education, to start discussions on relevant topics and get connected to other like-minded people.
- We have an active ISCB Education Committee and welcome your participation.
- We regularly organise Workshops on Education in Bioinformatics (WEB) at ISMB and ECCB conferences, offering opportunities and strategies for the provision of bioinformatics training to engaged audiences - contact us with suggestions for future workshops.
- We are members of the Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education & Training (GOBLET), an umbrella organisation that brings together major international and national bioinformatics and computational biology societies and networks, aiming to provide a global, sustainable support and networking infrastructure for bioinformatics trainers and trainees. GOBLET’s main meetings are held annually, with interim events throughout the year - join us.
- We have an active Curriculum & Competencies task-force - get involved.
- At ISMB/ECCB in Berlin, we established a poster track dedicated to educational activities - look out for future calls for posters.
July 21, 2017 - Tutorials at ISMB/ECCB 2017
July 22, 2017 - Workshop on Education in Bioinformatics (WEB): Open Science platforms for bioinformatics education 2017
November 22-24 2017 - GOBLET AGM, Oeiras, Portugal
Past CoBE activities
1. The ISCB Education committee held a Workshop at ISMB 2014, “The Online World of Bioinformatics Education” and a Workshop at ISMB/ECCB 2015, "Unlocking the super teacher inside you - Becoming competent in delivering bioinformatics training."
2. Two tutorials were offered at ISMB 2014: “Computational Metagenomics Techniques and Challenges” and “Wikipedia: WikiProject Computational Biology/ISMB 2014”
3. A workshop for school teachers was held alongside the GOBLET Annual General meeting in Toronto in November 2014.